Classified cards involve classification of different objects according to their category. As classification is a mental ability, therefore this activity focuses on brain progress.
2 ½ and onwards
The material of classified cards include:
- card of any specific environment
- cards of things related to that specific environment with names
- cards of things related to that specific environment without names (separate name tags)
Direct aims of classified cards are:
- Enhancement of vocabulary.
- Classification of things according to their environments.
- Classification of different environments.
Indirect aims of classified cards are:
- Indirect preparation for reading.
- Indirect preparation for further studies.
CONTROL OF ERROR:
When the child will place the wrong name tag with the wrong picture, he will know his error and then he will correct it by placing the right name tag with right picture.
POINT OF INTEREST:
The pictures themselves are interesting for the children.
Names of the objects.
All activities start with bringing the material along with the children and then taking their consent to begin the exercise. Always sit in circle with the children so you can keep an eye on all of them and they can be properly involvement.
What comes after is what requires some tips and guidance.
- After sitting down, show the big picture of any specified environment like a dinning room, and ask the children what that is.
- Ask different questions related to that picture.
- Communicate with children, let them talk, tell tales etc.
- Then show three pictures with name tags that are related to the one big picture, one by one. The children might tell you themselves what they are.
- Then by using the 3-period lesson, you test them, help them to memorize the names.
- Once done with that step, you can introduce the 3 cards without the name on them and then ask the child to place the right name tag with the right picture.
- You can play games like mix all the cards and tags and ask the child to match the right ones.
There are million ways of doing these activities or exercises, well, not million but there are more than one. I am just telling you one that I came across. Do not restrict yourself to just one method. Open new doors and make the activities as interesting as you can. Good luck.
Here is a page from my folder: